Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 12 (last day): Road testing road tourism

The more I travel the more potential I discover for local tourism and that’s got to be a bonus for visitors on our roads. There are some tourism offices doing very well and some that leave a lot to be desired but that is another matter.

We left Eden this morning and there is no denying the attractiveness of the country side throughout the length and breadth of the NSW South Coast. So much unrealised potential and as with everything else, some do it well and others less so. 

While the journey may be scenic, I have some concerns over some parts of the Princes Highway. As had been stated by the NSW Coroner into the inquiry into the Princes Highway, “it is unforgiving” and I would caution anyone towing a van in the more mountainous areas to exercise extra care.

Tomorrow we are home and that’s when the real work will begin. Putting some sense and purpose to the information gathered on the way. I expect I will be doing a lot more work with industry people in the months ahead and I am looking forward to that.

To all those out there, who are contemplating travelling …. Do so. Don’t leave it as long as I did. “Go see Australia” and visit those country towns who rely so much on your visit. Yes, petrol costs more but go even if you have to cut a day off your trip to allow for the petrol. The cost of staying in the van parks ranged from $17 to $34 per night for a powered site. 

You can do yourself and someone else whose job relies on your holiday a favour. Go see Australia – TODAY!

No comments: